Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Doing things the right way. . .

Generally I don't post on my blog.

I know that sounds silly, seeing as it is MY blog, but I am one of those people who have never been
quite comfortable talking about myself, so I let Josh (my trusty intern) do the posts for me.

My problem with blogging? How does one talk about their life without sounding arrogant, or preachy.
I know when I read other blogs there is always the fine line between information and personal spin.

Since I was down with the flu for a couple of weeks it presented me with a rare amount of down time.
I spent many hours in my bed, with my laptop, and much of that time was spent on Todd Owyoung's blog.

I really enjoy Todd's posts and how willing he is to give of his knowledge to his fellow photographers.

This is a rare and beautiful thing.

Many photographers hold onto their knowledge as if it were their most valued and prized possession.
Some do this out of fear of competition, others out of a basic instinct to protect what they have earned.

Photography can be one of the most dog eat dog industries. Those who have the "in" want to keep it,
and those who don't have the "in" want it.

Todd started a wonderful section on his blog where his fellow photog's can submit their questions, and
Todd encouraged others to share their knowledge as well.

Below is what I posted on Todd's blog, and it all goes back to how important it is to doing things
the right way.

______________________________________________________________________

Todd,

I look forward to reading your post. I always enjoy your comments.

Jillian, I will give you a few tips from my experiences as well.

Yes, LA is an extremely difficult market to break into. After two years it can easily become frustrating.

Here are some options to consider:

1. Start submitting your work to LA photography agents. Photo agencies are a necessity in large cities.
The agency has the contacts and the reputation to properly present your work.
This way the right people who need to see your portfolio, will.

2. Inquire to all local papers, and even the smaller papers outside of LA, about a stringer position.
* Stringers are the unsung heros of the newspaper world. Normal pay is between fifty to seventy-five dollars per picture.

3. Keep networking. Keep shooting any show you have access to, and expand to smaller venues outside of LA.

Many photographer for the "big" bands have a long term relationship with the group.

They shot the band when they were young, hungry, and basically a no-body.

You never know when an unknown band is going to become the NEXT big thing.
And when they do rise to success.... they often take along the people who stuck with them through the lean times.

4. Most important, while building your reputation, do not step on any toes...
I feel this often isn't discussed enough when it comes to concert photography,
but your reputation for doing it "the right way" is invaluable.

The last thing you want is attention from a band or venue for doing it "the wrong way".

There is nothing wrong with ambition, but you have to make sure to always represent yourself in an
ethical manner. Do not take any short cuts. (i.e. shooting bands without permission,
shooting in a venue without their permission).

If you have to sign a release to photograph a band, always read the fine print. Some band
will not allow you to post their images, even for portfolio purpose, on your personal blog or website.

Bands are commercial entities. They protect their Image, especially the photographs of them, with great
and furious power.

You will be amazed by what a small world this area of photography is.. and news travels fast if
there is a photographer out there doing "it" the wrong way.


jhs

No comments:

Post a Comment